Rabbit Rabbit! Sweet June, my favorite month of the year, has arrived. Goal setting is one of the things I am most passionate about in this life. I set yearly goals/guideposts, monthly goals, and I also have a 2.75 year list of goals (something called 101 in 1001--it's 101 goals you try to complete in 1001 days, roughly 2.75 years. I plan on sharing my whole list, started in fall 2015, soon!).
All of that to say, I like to set big and small goals, with long and short timelines to complete them. My monthly goals tend to be more bite-sized action items aimed to further my more overarching yearly goals or 101 in 1001 goals. Something I haven't done before is set seasonal goals, which I guess is because I felt a little overexposed when it comes to setting goals. But for summer 2017, I'm going for it.
Why? Because this summer marks the last time for me that a lot of things will feel constant, and after the summer, there will be a lot of change. I'm switching jobs, I'm taking the biggest and wildest trip of my life, and just generally in my mind things will feel different after September. There is a lot I want to get done, take advantage of, and not let pass me by. So I know these aren't the actual precise dates of summer, but I'm setting my goals below for June 1 (today) - September 1 (the last day of my current job). On September 2, Grace and I leave for a 7000+ mile road trip North and across 2 countries and 12 states/provinces. There's a LOT happening, but I know the goals I'm setting will help me feel ready for it!
Summer 2017 Goals
- Take a day trip somewhere we've never been before
- Finally finish a personal writing project I've been working on for the last 2 years
- Reincorporate exercise into my life on a consistent basis
- Take at least one weekend getaway sometime in July or August
- Blog here on Have Dog, Will Drive at least once a week
- Meet all of my pre-Alaska financial goals I set earlier in the year
- Get together with Grace's and my close friends in a fun way before we leave town for a few weeks in September
- Meet all of my work goals and leave my replacement in a great position to start
And my June goals, below, are a combination of action items to meet my summer goals and other things that I know need to happen this month.
June 2017 Goals
- Journal about and intentionally work on becoming a better listener
- Exercise three days a week and put it on my calendar
- Switch over to my own health insurance (hello, 26th birthday)
- Celebrate my 26th birthday
- Take care of some Casper to-do list items, such as scheduling his vet visit for before we leave for Alaska, making an appointment to have some of his teeth removed (he's an old boy and has some dead teeth), researching food options for the road trip since Canada has some rules about what pet food you can bring into the country, and getting him a new warm coat that actually fits
I am planning on writing a goals post on the 1st of every month, so in July, you can look for my new monthly goals as well as a recap of how I did in June. If you set June goals or 2017 goals, I'd love to hear about them!