If you have spent any amount of time with me in the past year, you know how excited I am for September 2017 to begin. Last year on Labor Day Weekend (for those outside the US, the first couple of days in September), Grace and I went camping near the Sierra Nevada mountains in the Eastern part of California, and we spent the whole time talking about driving to Alaska in exactly one year. Dreaming about where we'd go along the way, how much Casper would love it, and (real talk) how/whether we could afford it. In a lot of ways, that camping trip feels like just a few weeks ago, and I cannot believe that September 2017 is already HERE. But of course, the past year has changed us, too. We have grown and adapted and one member of the Alaska trip dream team is no longer with us. And Mr. Willie has joined us.
A few days ago, less than a week before leaving for Alaska, I bawled my eyes out when it suddenly hit me afresh that Casper isn't coming with us (physically) on this trip. I probably looked incredibly psycho as I cradled his cedar box of ashes and just lost it. Why I am writing this down? Just to try to convey all that this trip means to us. A year ago when we dreamed this trip into existence, I thought, this will be FUN. I will get AWESOME PHOTOS. We will be CAREFREE. Now, I think about it differently. The trip will be meaningful. We will get to know each other more deeply and grow in our relationship and in faith. We will see beautiful places on this earth and stand in awe of it. I want my goals for September (which look very different from my typical monthly goals) to reflect that.
I don't often talk about spiritual beliefs or faith on this blog, but this past Sunday we received a beautiful traditional Celtic blessing at our church that was so perfect for our upcoming journey that I just had to share it.
So, how did I do on my August goals?
- Simplify and prepare my work/home/heart for ALASKA! Yes. I feel so ready.
- Match quiet nights to read, journal, and rest with early mornings to exercise (on nights that I stay in, I wake up early the next day!) Not the best. Why is this so hard?
- Leave my job, and my replacement hire, equipped and with a clean slate. Yes! Today is my last day at my current job, and though it's hard to give up the reins, I feel I left everything in a good place.
- Set up my new phone to sync with my car bluetooth, transfer notes and photos, and set up my email (this could probably take some people an afternoon . . . but these things are challenging for me so it has to be a monthly goal, haha!) Amazingly yes.
- Host Grace's sweet parents for a week in LA. Yes. One of my favorite weeks of the summer!
- Spend at least a few minutes of each day in silence (inspired by this article I read recently) Yes.
And now, my September goals!
- Be active as much as possible, especially on long car ride days
- Find ways to serve Grace throughout the trip
- Keep up with journaling, reading, and some blogging from the road
- Take in moments with my eyes, not just my camera
We leave tomorrow morning bright and early! I have never used the Instagram Stories feature before (grandma status), but I am planning to start using it during our trip in case anyone is curious to follow along and see some of the parts of the US and Canada we'll be driving through! You can follow along on my Instagram here :) Happy September!